The BBQ Competition Story
The Atlanta Kosher BBQ Festival is part of the National Kosher BBQ Circuit. Cities included in this Kosher BBQ Circuit: Atlanta, GA, Birmingham, AL, Kansas City, MO, Memphis, TN, Charlotte, NC, Chicago, IL, San Antonio, TX, Dallas, TX, Fairfield, CT and Plainview, NY (Long Island). Coming in 2017- Toronto, Canada.
Each competition is 100% operated under local Kashruth Supervision.
Kosher BBQ Competitions are similar to the Kansas City Sanctioned BBQ Competitions you find on television with two variations. Our teams cook and/smoke their meat all night long; however, all teams in Kosher competitions are on a level playing field. In the Kosher BBQ Circuit we are all Backyard BBQ Amateurs. Some people ask what is the difference between Backyard BBQ & the Pros.
The BBQ Brethren define it just right.
Kosher BBQ Competitions (Backyard BBQ) vs Pro:
- Kosher Competitors compete on a level playing field. This means they all use the same smoker, meat, options of raw ingredients for sauces and spices, charcoal, thermometers and time. Usually you see Whole Beef Briskets, Ribs, Chicken and Beans used, however all meat is Kosher and regionally sourced. All Kosher ingredients supplied by the event of competitors are checked and approved by the events Kosher supervision aka A Mashgiach(Hebrew: משגיח, pl. משגיחים, Mashgichim, lit. “Supervisor”) is a Jew who supervises the kashrut status of a kosher establishment
- Pro there is almost always Pork involved
- The next key difference is that in Kosher BBQ you may not use any dairy fish ingredients
- Teams must pay special attention to ingredient listings on every single item used
- Kosher BBQ Teams will prep their food on Thursday night then return Saturday night after the Sabbath and start their magic in an open area with all teams lined up for the long haul. The next morning (Sunday) the festival begins with volunteers, judges and fans arriving for food and fun
- Pro they will start Friday night into Saturday for the competition
- Kosher BBQ Winners receive medals and trophy’s because these events tend to be clear fundraisers for charity. It’s the thrill of the win.
Kosher BBQ Festivals are about bringing the local community together in one venue where we all are comfortable eating the same food and meeting new friends, showing people that Kosher food is easier to prepare than you might think and introducing Kosher Vendors of Atlanta to the community. Finally, we are raising money for local charities or beneficiaries who support our community in one way or another.